Oven baked sticky Thai chicken wings feature fantastic Thai flavours mixed with the ideas behind classic Buffalo hot wings!
Thai Hot Wings.
I love wings, I don’t care what are on them I will not stop eating until there are none left. These sticky spicy Thai wings are my latest obsession!
Buffalo wings and hot wings are pretty much one and the same thing, fried wings in a chilli and vinegar-based sauce.
This recipe plays with those classic buffalo chicken wing ideas and introduces Thai influences like sweet chilli sauce and lemongrass.
The lemongrass in this recipe comes courtesy of lemongrass paste.
It is an ingredient that I always have and use it in lieu of fresh lemongrass in recipes like my beef rendang. It has a great shelf life and tastes superb!
I am certainly not afraid of fried food as my proper crispy fried chicken wings demonstrate, but these bad boys are oven-baked.
It makes them a little less of an indulgence but no less of a star in the flavour department.
Alternative Cooking Methods.
My latest wing technique is air fryer chicken wings. These work wonderfully well in the air fryer, using exactly the same ingredients.
Cook at 180C or 350F for 20 minutes then a final 7 minutes at 200°C or 400°F.
You can, of course, fry these wings although you do need to make some alterations to the preparation.
The first thing to do is omit the baking powder. Then you need to swap out the garlic salt for straight garlic granules.
In terms of the process, you need to add the dried ingredients into the sauce and season the wings with just salt.
They fry at 190°C or 375°F for 10-12 minutes before being drained and added to the sauce.
My go-to accompaniment to chicken wings is potato wedges and these Thai wings are no different.
However, the Thai flavours do lend themselves to a broader set of flavours.
They would work exceptionally well with pickles something like pickled daikon would work wonderfully.
If you want to go for a salad then this Thai watermelon salad would work a treat!
Thai flavours are at the centre of this delicious take on these hot wing style chicken wings!
For the Chicken
- 500 g (17 oz) Chicken Wings
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tsp Garlic Salt
- 1 Tsp Dried Chilli Flakes
- 1 Tsp Dried Basil
For the Hot Sauce
- 50 g (1.75 oz) Sweet Chili Sauce
- 30 g (1 oz) Honey
- 1 Tsp Light Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Fish Sauce
- 2 Tbsp White Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Lemon Grass Paste
- Separate your chicken wings into winglets and drummettes.
- Pat the chicken dry with kitchen paper.
- Place them into a large bag and add the remaining ingredients for the chicken.
- Blow the bag up like a balloon and shake well to coat.
- Arrange the chicken on a baking grid "skin side" down.
- Roast in the oven at 130ºC or 250ºF for 30 minutes.
- Flip the chicken and turn up the oven to 200ºC or 400ºF and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Mix all of the ingredients for the hot sauce in a pan and reduce by half over a medium-high heat. This should tale around 15 minutes.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl and pour over the sauce and stir with a spoon to coat.
Adapted from Fox Valley Foodie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 939Total Fat: 61gSaturated Fat: 22gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 34gCholesterol: 205mgSodium: 3414mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 2gSugar: 26gProtein: 44g
Calorific details are provided by a third-party application and are to be used as indicative figures only.