This Chinese Beef Stir Fry with Shiitake Mushrooms is quick and simple to make and tastes just like your favourite takeaway!
Chinese Beef and Mushroom Stir Fry.
It would seem that one of our local stores has come across a supply of Shiitake Mushrooms and I am not one to look a gift horse in the mouth. So here I am with another Chinese inspired fakeaway recipe!
I use mushrooms a lot in my Chinese influenced cooking, shiitake also appear in my hot and sour soup.
They are the focus of my vegetarian mushroom chow mein recipe.
I even use dried Chinese mushrooms to create the broth for my beef noodle soup!
Do not worry if you cannot get shiitake mushrooms, you can sub them out for anything that you can find.
I have made this with oyster mushrooms, chestnut, regular mushrooms and portobello mushrooms. It just works!
This recipe is incredibly quick, you can take this from cupboard to table in 15 minutes if pushed. But take your time and your dinner is served in just 20.
It is sweet, sour, salty and spicy, it features all the flavours you expect from a good fakeaway dinner.
It is also quicker, cheaper and tastes every bit as good as your local takeaway.
What Cut of Beef To Use?
When it comes to beef you want something that is already pretty tender.
We do marinade the beef with cornflour and soy which helps a little. But that is not enough to break down a tough cut of meat.
I swear by sirloin steak for recipes like this, it has a good balance of flavour and tenderness.
You could also use something like flank, skirt or hangar steak.
A great tip for getting super tender beef is hidden in the preparation of the beef as well as the cooking.
You want to cut your beef against the grain. Essentially you cut perpendicular to the way that the muscle fibres run.
By doing this you are shortening those fibres, as a result, the beef feels more tender!
Work on the Preparation!
The success of this recipe lies in the preparation.
It does not matter whether you are cooking this or my duck stir fry with plums, the critical part of all stir fry recipes is the preparation!
Whilst the video in this recipe is edited to prevent you falling to sleep you can see there is no rest when you start cooking.
Make sure everything is prepared, weighed and chopped.
The all you need to do is make sure that your wok is hot!
Failing to prepare and not having a hot enough wok are the most common ways for stir fry recipes to fail!
This simple and frighteningly quick stir fried beef with shiitake recipe proves that "better than takeaway" food can be made in your own kitchen!
- 300 g (10 oz) Sirloin Steak
- 100 g (3.5 oz) Shiitake Mushrooms
- 100 g (3.5 oz) Spring Onions
- 65 g (2.25 oz) Medium Hot Red Chilli Peppers
- 1 Tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 2 Tsp Corn Flour
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 1 Tsp Sesame Oil
- 1 Tbsp Shaoxing Wine
- 1 Tbsp Flavourless Cooking Oil
- Slice the steak into thin strips maybe 3-4mm wide across the grain of the beef.
- Combine the soy sauces with the cornflour (cornstarch in the US).
- Add the thinly sliced beef and allow to marinate.
- Cut the white part of the spring onions into 1cm lengths and finely slice the green parts.
- Slice the garlic as thinly as you can.
- Deseed and finely slice the chillies lengthways into 2mm thick ribbons.
- Remove the stalks from the mushrooms and finely slice the caps, we are only using the caps here, freeze the stalks for another use.
- Combine the Hoisin sauce, Shaoxing wine and sesame oil in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat a wok over a high heat and when it is shimmering hot add the oil.
- Fry the shiitake mushrooms and white parts of the spring onions for 2 mins and then remove and set aside.
- Now add in the remaining oil and add in the chilli strands and garlic and fry for 30 seconds.
- Throw in the beef with marinade and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Now return the spring onion and mushroom mix to the wok and add the Hoisin mix and cook for 60 seconds.
- Throw in the green parts of the spring onion, fry for a final 30 seconds and serve.
Serve with some simply boiled jasmine rice, again with all stir fried dishes get all of your ingredients ready before you begin.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 560Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 138mgSodium: 1343mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 45g