A perfect burger is a beautiful thing and this perfect Chicken Burger is simplicity personified and that chilli and lime mayo, swoon!
The Perfect Chook Burger.
A great burger is a beautiful thing, I have no time for people that refer to burgers as junk food, burgers are simply magical!
This little chicken number took me a while to get right and the problem I had was with the texture.
Minced chicken just did not do it for me, even when I used the chicken thighs. They gave it a great flavour but it was all a bit mushy.
Using a whole chicken breast results in the most wonderful texture.
And that little sprinkle of paprika in the egg for the panne is genius! Even if I say so myself.
A burger always lives and dies on its toppings and I am a less is more kinda chap!
Seriously if you need to pin your burger together or pick it out of your lap after eating it is a crappy burger!
This recipe relies on the simplicity of cucumber and lettuce, then the most amazing chilli and lime mayonnaise.
I assume in this recipe that you are going to be using store-bought mayo.
But I implore you just once to make your own mayonnaise, it is easy as you can see from the video below.
Whilst store-bought mayo will do in a pinch it does not hold a flame to a homemade mayonnaise!
You need nothing special other than an egg, some decent oil, salt and lemon or vinegar and about 10 minutes.
You will seriously never go back.
This is a big burger!
Even the smallest of chicken breasts outweigh the puny quarter-pound burgers most are used to.
As a result, I would normally just serve this recipe on its own and call it a light dinner or lunch.
But if I were to serve a side it would inevitably be something like potato wedges.
For the Patty
- 2 Small Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 50 g (2 oz) Bread Crumbs
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp Cooking Oil
For the Burger
- 4 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 1 Lime
- 2 Burger Buns
- Frisee Lettuce
- If your chicken breasts have the tenders still attached remove them and freeze for another time.
- Crack the egg into a wide flat bowl.
- Season the egg generously with salt and add the paprika and beat with a fork.
- Sprinkle the flour and bread crumbs onto separate plates.
- Take each chicken breast and first coat with the flour.
- Then coat with the egg.
- The finally coat with the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil in an ovenproof frying pan over a medium high heat.
- When hot add the chicken breasts "presentation" side down.
- Cook until golden which should take 3-4 minutes.
- Flip the chicken and transfer to the oven.
- Roast at 180°C or 350°F until the internal temperature reaches 74°C or 165°F. This should take 15-20 minutes.
- Zest and juice the lime.
- Mix together the mayo, sweet chilli sauce, the zest and half of the juice from the lime. Taste and as salt as required.
- Thinly slice the cucumber and pick the lettuce.
- I like to build my chicken burger in the following order: Bun, mayo, cucumber, lettuce, more mayo, chicken patty, cucumber and more mayo before adding the top!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 869Total Fat: 45gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 36gCholesterol: 207mgSodium: 1012mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 6gSugar: 15gProtein: 51g