Crispy chicken burger with frisee lettuce, cucumber and the easiest sweet chilli and lime mayonnaise, you’ll never buy frozen patties again.
This recipe uses small chicken breast fillets and coats them in breadcrumbs with a hint of paprika to create the perfect crispy sandwich patty!
Homemade Breaded Crispy Chicken Sandwich
A great burger is a beautiful thing, I have no time for people that refer to burgers as junk food, burgers are simply magical!
My crispy breaded chook burger uses a chicken breast fillet which results in the most wonderful texture.
A little sprinkle of paprika in the egg for the pane is genius, even if I say so myself!
The word pane is the name for dipping food into flour, egg, and then breadcrumbs.
I use exactly the same process to make cornflake chicken breasts which would also be wonderful on this burger!
Frequently Asked Questions
You have both air fryer and oven instructions, which is best?
From a taste and texture point of view it makes very little difference. However, the air fryer is both quicker and cheaper to use unless you are using the oven to cook something else at the same time.
Can I use low-fat mayonnaise?
Yup, I’m not a fan personally but this recipe works fine with low-fat mayo.
Can I use homemade mayonnaise?
Definitely, I assume in this recipe that you will be using store-bought mayo. But homemade mayo is glorious and it is easy as you can see from the video below.
Whilst store-bought mayo will do in a pinch it does not hold a flame to a homemade mayonnaise!
You need nothing special other than an egg, some decent oil, salt and lemon or vinegar and about 10 minutes.
Can I use a different type of lettuce?
Yes, knock yourself out!
I use frisee lettuce because it has a great combination and a bit of flavour, it is mildly peppery and bitter.
This is a big chicken burger!
Even the smallest of chicken breasts outweigh the puny quarter-pound.
As a result, I would normally serve this recipe on its own and call it a light dinner or lunch.
Cheesy fried polenta chips also work wonderfully with this simple burger.
Something like this super simple tossed green salad would work really well too!
I only mention brands of equipment if I think that they make a material difference to a recipe. If you have any questions feel free to ask them in the comments section below the recipe.
- Oven or Air Fryer.
- 3 Flat wide bowls.
- Mixing bowl for the chilli mayonnaise.
- Chopping board.
- Kitchen knife.
- Oven-proof frying pan (big enough for two chicken breasts).
- Weighing scales and or measuring cups and spoons.
- Meat thermometer, optional but recommended!
This crispy chicken burger uses a whole breast and then tops it with a glorious chilli and lime mayonnaise that will make your heart beat faster!
For the Patty
- 2 Small Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tsp Sweet Paprika
- 50g (½ Cup) Dried Bread Crumbs
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp Cooking Oil
For the Burger
- 4 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 1 Lime
- 2 Burger Buns
- Frisee Lettuce
- If your chicken breasts have the tenders still attached remove them and freeze them for another time.
- Crack the egg into a wide flat bowl and season generously with salt then add the paprika and beat with a fork.
- Sprinkle the flour and bread crumbs onto separate plates.
- Take each chicken breast and first coat with the flour, then dip them into the egg.
- Finally, coat the chicken breasts with the breadcrumbs.
- Heat the oil in an ovenproof frying pan over a medium high heat.
- When hot add the chicken breasts "presentation" side down.
- Cook until golden which should take 3-4 minutes.
- Flip the chicken and transfer to the oven.
- Roast at 180°C or 350°F until the internal temperature reaches 74°C or 165°F. This should take 12-15 minutes. Or you can pop them in an air fryer at 180°C or 350°F for 8-10 minutes.
- Zest and juice the lime.
- Mix together the mayo, sweet chilli sauce, the zest and half of the juice from the lime. Taste and add salt as required.
- Thinly slice the cucumber and pick the lettuce.
- I like to build my burger in the following order. Bun, mayo, cucumber, lettuce, more mayo, chicken patty, cucumber and more mayo before adding the top!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 869Total Fat: 45gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 36gCholesterol: 207mgSodium: 1012mgCarbohydrates: 64gFiber: 6gSugar: 15gProtein: 51g
Calorific details are provided by a third-party application and are to be used as indicative figures only.